Sunday, April 11, 2010

Still Playing: "Why Did I Get Married Too?" Review

...The "quick video review" coming soon...



Still Playing: "Why Did I Get Married Too?"


Appetizer: “Why Did I Married Too” was a formulaic movie that strives to be nothing more.


Main Course: Now before I start this review, I would like to state a few things.

  1. I have a guilty pleasure for the “Medea” movies. Yes, I do have a few people in my family that are similar to the characters in those movies.
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment to “Why Did I Get Married”…to my surprise.

These things being said, I did NOT want to watch “Why Did I Get Married Too”.

The reason being Tyler Perry.

He, like many other filmmakers, follows a formula in all of his movie in order to reach his targeted audience. A filmmaker following a formula isn’t a problem with me though (I mean as I said, I enjoy the Medea movies and those are formulaic to the core), it’s when I’m not the targeted audience that I have a problem with formulas.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t shake the feeling that Tyler Perry was going to run this movie through his Dramatic “Assembly Line”

Anyways.

Movie starts…

Terry (Tyler Perry) and Dianne (Sharon Leal) talk about their friends, that are getting a divorce, in front of their two young children. The boy, youngest, asks what a “divorce” is and before the parents can reply the girl, older, answers with an overly grown response.

You laugh.

“Kids Say the Darnest Things”-type of moment.

The two adults then pack their bags into the car so they can go off to their annual vacation with their friends and talk about “Why Did [They] Get Married?”…

ANNNNNNND THAT’s the whole movie.

A clusterfuck of set-ups for you to laugh, be mad, but ultimately, for you to shout at the screen. Whether the set-ups push forward the story in a way you can truly “care about” or not is irrelevant…as long as you shout at the screen every 10 minutes.


Side Dishes:

“Why to watch this movie?”

  • You’re a Tyler Perry fan and just to see another one of his movies.
  • To watch an Urban Film.
  • To see how Janet Jackson is holding up…
  • You find Tyler Perry’s Dramas to be good.
  • What will “Angela” do next?

“Why NOT to watch this movie?”

  • The characters and relationships you grew to love in the 1st movie are changed…for the worst.
  • The acting is awful.
  • The story was extremely straightforward.
  • The movie has no true focus.
  • 85% of the “sentimental” parts are flat-out funny…and I’m sure they weren’t meant to be.


Dessert: Final Verdict - Tied

Tie-Breaker: Now the only reason it’s a “tie” is because I did not feel like listing more explanations as to “Why NOT to watch…”.

If you had intentions on paying 10-13 dollars on seeing this sequel at the theater to be begin with, your still going to see it at the theater. You know what you want from Tyler Perry and he delivers just that. A movie that allows you to scream at the screen for 2 hours. Nothing more.

Doggie Bag:

"What Stood Out?"

  • Angela (Tashe Smith)…and that’s mainly because she was the only character that gave you more of what you loved about the 1st installment, laughs.

“Why did…” #1 worked because it was the perfect balance of Comedy and Drama, not to mention, the story was tightly written. “Why Did…” #2, on the other hand, was 3% Comedy and 97% Drama.

If you like Tyler Perry for Drama, this movie is for you. If you (such as me) like Tyler Perry for Comedy, stay faaaaaaaaaaar away from this movie.

You have been warned.

1 comment:

  1. This is the type of review I wanted from a Madea fan...b/c I'm not one I felt my opinion was jaded b/c of my dislike for Madea. I enjoyed this immensely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete